The Stitch & Make Studio
The building known as Burns Cottage was built in 1883 as part of Northampton’s
growing boot and shoe industry.
Unusually after the building had ceased being industrial it was never developed
into 2 bedroom flats and internally many original features remain - luckily the lead
pipes have been replaced!
The Stitch & Make Studio now occupies the top floor. Following local funding
from Northampton Community Foundation in 2010, a sympathetic landlord and a
collaboration with Elna, the studio opened in January 2011.
This is the place to visit if you want to pick up new skills, need extra space or
escape from the consumer masses.
We also provide:
• Cutting tables, sewing machines and space to cut at just £2.50 p/h
• Private 1:1 tuition for beginners or specific subjects ie pattern cutting or sewing
• Children’s craft parties - we provide the space and activity, you bring the cake
and the goody bags
• Lounge area with refreshments for groups to meet
• Tailor made hen parties ie make your own corsage or fascinator we’ll provide
Bucks Fizz and cake. Try something fun and different
• A small gallery space / studio area with kitchen to hire
Education - Creative Training
Abi Jackson is a qualified FE Tutor with a subject specialism in sewing/ textiles
and pattern drafting. She has over 25 years experience and has planned and
delivered to a broad variety of education providers from informal classes such as
the WI to subject specialism days in colleges.
Past seminars have included:
• Diploma students designing and making for a private gallery in Uppingham
• Finchley WI making patterns and sewing skirts
• Students from a private school exploring additional techniques for sketch books
and textile samples
Classes can be tailored to meet specific needs such as teaching particular skills,
exploring new techniques or building new teaching resources. The studio provides
an exciting and colourful teaching environment which will make you feel inspired
If you are an education provider please contact Abi to discuss your needs.